MA English as a World Language (ENGAGE) requirements

Antworten
ajok

Bearbeitet MA English as a World Language (ENGAGE) requirements

Beitrag von ajok »

Dear Sir/Madam:

I am interested in applying for your MA in English as a World Language (ENGAGE). I have a bachelor's degree in engineering. However, I've been teaching as a free-lance english teacher for the last 10 years. I have a diploma in TESOL and certificate in teaching business English. I have also been working as a freelance translator/editor (Chinese-English) for academic journals for two years. Teaching and translating kindled the desire in me to study linguistics.

Is there any possibility for me to get into your MA in ENGAGE with my academic and work background? If possible, what are the documents I need to prepare to increase my acceptability (e.g. work certificate, letter of recommendation, etc.)?

Sincerely yours,
AJ
Campus-Center - Birte Schelling

Re: MA English as a World Language (ENGAGE) requirements

Beitrag von Campus-Center - Birte Schelling »

Dear AJ,

I am afraid that won't be possible if you didn't study any English or Linguistics in your first degree. To fulfill the admission requirements for the ENGAGE program you either need a first university degree from a German or recognized foreign university with the main subject English/American studies or another linguistic main subject or you need a number of at least 60 credits in one of the mentioned subjects that can be proven by a transcript of records of the bachelor degree. So if your first degree didn't include any credits in English or Lingustics you cannot be admitted despite your additional qualifications. Thus you will probably have to study another bachelor program first to fulfill the admission requirements. Detailed information about those requirements can be found in the application information about the program: https://www.uni-hamburg.de/onTEAM/studi ... nguage.pdf I am sorry that the information in the document is not available in English – the reason for this is that this program is taught partly in German and therefore requires German language proficiency. You can find further information about the German language requirements in English here: https://www.uni-hamburg.de/en/campuscen ... nisse.html

If you studied some English or Linguistics in your first degree and are not sure whether your previous qualifications fulfill the admission requirements after reading the application information, you can contact the department offering the program directly, since the selection process for that program is administered by the department. Contact details are provided at the end of the application information. You can also ask the department if they have any recommendations what you could do to acquire the credits you need without studying another whole bachelor program - maybe a year of study in a bachelor program would suffice to acquire the credits you need.

Best regards,
Birte Schelling
Beratung und Administration
Campus-Center
Universität Hamburg
Antworten