Masters in Indology

Gesperrt
Krishna_881

Bearbeitet Masters in Indology

Beitrag von Krishna_881 »

1) I would like to know if the programme requires any language proficiency documents. It was mentioned in the website that a thorough knowledge of Sanskrit/ Tamil is required in order to pursue the degree. So, is a document showing the language proficiency necessary for admission? If so, what kind of proficiency is needed for this course? If not, is knowledge about the language alone needed?

2) I also need to know about the class placements of the course, i.e, how many days in a week does the programme provide classes? or is it hour based? (For example; some universities mostly have Masters classes only for 2 days a week).

3) I have looked into the website's scholarship sites, but I haven't seen any scholarships provided specifically for this particular programme or a scholarship provided from the university alone. Are there any such scholarships? Are there any scholarships regarding the flood affected from Kerala, India?
Campus-Center-Sandra-Hoffmann

Re: Masters in Indology

Beitrag von Campus-Center-Sandra-Hoffmann »

Dear Krishna_881,

unfortunately, we do not offer scholarships for prospective students - neither general ones, nor ones that are specifically advertised for this degree programme. Perhaps you will find what you are looking for on the DAAD website: https://www.daad.de/en/

Here you can find the application information for "Indology and Tibetology M.A.": https://www.uni-hamburg.de/onTEAM/studi ... logy_e.pdf

In it, you can find the following information under "Additional special admission requirements":
"For profile Indology with focus on Sanskrit or Tamil Studies:
Proof of Competence in Sanskrit or Tamil with a minimum of 20 credit points or proof of
an equivalent language training."
And further:
In case no sufficient evidence for competence in Sanskrit, Tamil or classical Tibetan can be
provided within the application period the candidate will have the possibility to undergo a
placement test conducted by the Universität Hamburg (Department Culture and History of
India and Tibet) prior to the beginning of the Master which has to be passed.
Please address your second question directly to the department. Unfortunately, I cannot give you any information about the structure of the programme. Address your question to one of the following two people, depending on which language you would like to focus on.

For Sanskrit: Prof. Dr. Harunaga Isaacson, harunagaisaacson@gmail.com
For Tamil Studies: Prof. Dr. Eva Wilden, eva.wilden@uni-hamburg.de

Kind regards
Sandra Hoffmann
Beratung und Administration
Campus-Center
Universität Hamburg
Krishna_881

Thankyou so much for your reply.
Krishna_881

Respected sir/ma'am,
I've applied for the masters in Indology course and couldn't get in. As the reason mentioned was that I have no proof of Sanskrit Language competence, if that's the case as mentioned above, isn't a test supposed to be held?
"In case no sufficient evidence for competence in Sanskrit, Tamil or classical Tibetan can be
provided within the application period the candidate will have the possibility to undergo a
placement test conducted by the Universität Hamburg (Department Culture and History of
India and Tibet) prior to the beginning of the Master which has to be passed".

Also, it was mentioned before that a Bachelor's in Sanskrit or an equivalent is required, since I don't have a bachelor's degree in Sanskrit, could a PG Diploma course be a substantial document proving the competence? Kindly Reply.

Thank you,
Krishna

Dear Krishna,

unfortunately, I cannot answer your questions. Please contact Prof. Dr. Harunaga Isaacson (Indology - Sanskrit), harunaga.isaacson@uni-hamburg.de

Kind regards
Sandra Hoffmann
Campus-Center
Universität Hamburg
Krishna_881

Dear ma'am,
I've contacted all the mentioned faculty of Indology. No one has responded yet.

Dear Krishna,

I am sorry that you do not receive any feedback. Please keep trying as you can only be helped at Asien-Afrika-Institut. You might also try here: https://www.aai.uni-hamburg.de/studium/ ... buero.html

Kind regards
Sandra Hoffmann
Campus-Center
Universität Hamburg
Krishna_881

Dear Ma'am,
I've contacted the mentioned members in charge of the Indology department I still haven't received any responses.

Thank you,
Krishna

Dear Krishna,

please be patient. You will surely receive an answer in a timely manner.

Kind regards
Sandra Hoffmann
Campus-Center
Universität Hamburg
Gesperrt